Saturday, April 2, 2011

An E-mail from the Girl Child: Her Quest for True Love and Happiness

This morning, I received an e-mail from the Girl Child that recently moved to Ohio. This is the e-mail, or conversation, any parent would want to receive from a child. It is a message I will keep forever. It made me laugh, but mostly it made me cry -- not from sorrow, but for real joy! For all the ^&($ she has been through in her life -- from mistakes made by me, others, and mostly herself -- she has realized that most everything I did for her was out of love. By finding true, unconditional love, she has finally seen why I invested so much of myself in her life, my marriage(s), and her sorrows/mistakes. The man she is with has shown her what real love in a relationship is all about and that it didn't have to be that she was the only one in the relationship putting forth any effort. It took her moving a hour and a half way to someplace she knew nothing about and to people she didn't know, to find out what life is all about.

There is a whole lot more to the message, but for the most part, she is finally at peace with herself and her life and for once, today I felt like I could breathe a little and not worry so much about her and where her life was going or wasn't going. My work as a parent is not done, but it just became a little easier today.

God, I thank you for hearing my prayers...and hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment