Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Independence Day Book One: The Beginnings

Author: Bex Aaron
ASIN: B0051QFHYC

This book takes place in a fictional town, Haven Park, Wyoming. It's a "who-done-it" with a plethora (a word my brother loves to use) of characters who could have all "done it." The story begins on July 4, 1966, when Carol Mathison is found dead in the town park. The town is small, so everyone knows everyone else and Carol is no exception. She is the daughter of the retired police chief. It seems everyone has secrets, but the deep, dark ones are not shared or known by many others.

The story is written almost like a play. It begins by telling the reader all about the characters and alluding to the secrets no one else knows about. Someone is having an affair, someone else has committed murder before, someone has a drinking problem, another with a drug problem, and the list goes on. Then the story begins. The book is divided into parts, this being the first part. Had I known that, I probably wouldn't have read the first part. I bought the book from Amazon for my Kindle during the summer, and didn't realize that it was not the entire book.

I wish I knew who committed the murder. I have my suspects, but I guess I won't know for sure unless I get the remaining four parts. Is it worth the read? Yes, and no. Yes, because I'd really like to know who did it. No, because the book reads as though the author is not experienced. It almost seems like the work of a student in a creative writing class. Still, it is a pretty book book. I will probably see if I can't get the rest of the book to finish it, so stay tuned!

Grade: B+
Commentary on grade: I might have given this book an A- if it had been the complete book. I hate it when you aren't given the entire book -- just a taste, for free -- and expected to buy the remainder of the book. Oh, it's a clever literary ploy to make money, but it hardly seems fair to this reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment