Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Is Second Life Safe?

As I was working on some homework last night, my son wanted to know what Second Life was. I opened the program and showed him what it was all about. At thirteen, he asked a surprising question. "Isn't this environment dangerous? I mean, you can meet people in there just like you do on Facebook. Can't you meet some bad people?" Wise, huh? This has been a concern of mine as well. One of the first days I was in SL, I walked past a few avatars that were dropping the f-bomb like it was commonplace. They were dressed in some provocative clothing, too. I was laughed at as I walked past. My pastor has even spoken of SL in a sermon. It seems some people use it as a place to live a life outside marriage.

I suppose SL is just like real life. You need to be careful where you go, who you are with, and what you say and do. Here is an interesting article about safety in SL for teens/children. What is your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment